7NEWS Update – Wednesday, August 5: Dozens killed in Beirut blast, horror COVID day in Vic | 7NEWS | Beirut Update – Asian Network Media

Posted on

An explosion in Beirut has claimed at least 70 lives, including one Australian, while other Australian Embassy staff are seriously injured; Another horror day in Victoria with a record number of cases and deaths; NSW sees a rise in ICU admissions as the state records new COVID cases; Queensland shuts the border to NSW and ACT.

Read more: https://7news.link/3fuRiV2

Beirut explosion claims at least 70 lives including one Australian
Subscribe to 7NEWS for the latest video » https://7news.link/YTSubscribe

Connect with 7NEWS online
Visit » https://7news.com.au
Facebook » https://www.facebook.com/7NewsAustralia
Twitter » https://twitter.com/7NewsAustralia
Instagram » https://www.instagram.com/7newsaustralia/

7NEWS combines the trusted and powerful news brands including Sunrise, The Morning Show, The Latest, and 7NEWS.com.au, delivering unique, engaging and continuous coverage on the issues that matter most to Australians. Watch 7NEWS nightly at 6pm and weekdays at 11:30am and 4pm on Channel 7 and 7plus.

#BreakingNews #Coronavirus #Beirut #auspol #7NEWS


(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push();


(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push();

A large blast has hit the Lebanese capital, Beirut, causing widespread damage and injuring many people, officials say.

It is not yet clear what caused the explosion in the port area of the city. Video posted online showed a large mushroom cloud and destroyed buildings.

Hospitals are said to be overwhelmed by casualties.

It comes at a sensitive time with the country’s economic collapse reigniting old tensions.

Tensions are also high ahead of the verdict in a trial over the killing of ex-PM Rafik Hariri in 2005. A UN tribunal is due to issue its verdict in the trial of four suspects in the murder by car bomb of Hariri on Friday.

Follow our live updates
Lebanon’s health minister, Hamad Hasan, has spoken of many injuries and extensive damage.

Reuters news agency quotes sources as saying 10 bodies have been pulled from the wreckage.

The cause of the explosion is still not known, but some reports suggest it may have been an accident. Lebanon’s National News Agency reported a fire breaking out at what it called an explosives depot at the port.
Local media showed people trapped beneath rubble. A witness described the first explosion as deafening. Video footage showed wrecked cars and blast-damaged buildings.

The latest reports come amid political tension in Lebanon, with street demonstrations against the government’s handling the worst economic crisis since the 1975-1990 civil war.

There has also been tension on the border with Israel, which said last week that it had thwarted an attempt by Hezbollah to infiltrate Israeli territory.
‘Glass going down from all over the building’
Hadi Nasrallah, eyewitness speaking to the BBC

I saw the fire, but I didn’t yet know there was going to be an explosion. We went inside. Suddenly I lost my hearing because apparently I was too close. I lost my hearing for a few seconds, I knew something was wrong.

And then suddenly the glass just shattered all over the car, the cars around us, the shops, the stores, the buildings. Just glass going down from all over the building.

Literally all over Beirut, people were calling each other from different areas kilometres away and they were experiencing the same thing: broken glass, buildings shaking, a loud explosion.

Actually we were shocked because usually when it happens, just one area will experience those happenings after an explosion, but this time it was all of Beirut, even areas outside of Beirut.
Shock and anxiety
By Sebastian Usher, BBC Arab affairs analyst

The videos and images not just of the massive cloud of smoke erupting in Beirut but the damage and devastation it’s caused kilometres away have triggered a new wave of shock and anxiety in Lebanon, which is already teetering on the brink of a catastrophic economic collapse.

Just hours before the blast, anti-government protesters had been scuffling with the security forces outside the ministry of energy, demanding yet again accountability from the country’s leaders.


(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push();

There have been grave warnings of hunger in the streets or a reigniting of sectarian conflict if the economy worsens.

And the blast will remind many of the bomb that killed Rafik Hariri. The Lebanese will be hoping that this latest blast will remain a human tragedy – an accident – and not a premeditated act.

What’s the Hariri case about?
On the morning of 14 February 2005, Rafik Hariri – then an MP who aligned himself with the opposition in parliament – was travelling in a motorcade when the explosion went off in a busy area full of hotels and banks, causing widespread damage.

Mr Hariri had been one of Lebanon’s most prominent Sunni politicians and, at the time of his death, had joined calls for Syria to withdraw troops which had been in Lebanon since 1976 following the start of the civil war.


(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push();

The killing brought tens of thousands of demonstrators on to the streets in protest against the pro-Syrian government, with the finger of blame for the assassination pointed at Lebanon’s heavily influential neighbour.

Within two weeks the government resigned and weeks after that, Syria withdrew its forces.

After collecting evidence, the UN and Lebanon set up the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) in The Hague in 2007 to investigate the bombing, and ultimately charged four suspects of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah group with terrorism, murder and attempted murder.


(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push();

A fifth man linked to the attack, Hezbollah military commander Mustafa Amine Badreddine, was killed in Syria in 2016.

Hezbollah’s supporters have dismissed the trial, suggesting that the STL process is not politically neutral.

25 thoughts on “7NEWS Update – Wednesday, August 5: Dozens killed in Beirut blast, horror COVID day in Vic | 7NEWS | Beirut Update – Asian Network Media

  1. False flag, no one with 12 working brain cells would leave 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate lying around for 6 years and next to the port, grain storage and fireworks factory. No one could possibly be that stupid, clearly intentional.

  2. Why the government pledges 2 million dollars to the event happened half way cross the world when Australia in the middle of a pandemic? 2 mils is a big help for a lot of Australian families struggling with the ccp viruses …just nonsense!

  3. Victorian people should follow the Germans and Englands' example and come out of their homes and do a mass protest against this COVID hoax. The Government is a dictatorship who serve themselves not the people.

  4. Prime Minister Ardern acted quickly… New Zealand Government put the health of their citizens first and are now rebuilding. The Australian Federal Government put the economy first… well that backfired!
    No only are Australians dying, but the economy the Government put first is virtually being destroyed. Big thank you to a totally inept Australian Government. Mr Morrison, how about attending another football match and continue to give the population mixed messages. No wonder people are disobeying the rules!

  5. Fire first therefore it’s reasonable to say it’s accidental. We all have to pray together vote for someone that’s not a fear monger saying it was an Attack “Trump” yes you.

  6. All this things is telling us something about the second coming of in Jesus Christ, let us repent from our sins and believe JESUS CHRIST, Or else hell fire is eternal home for sinners

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *